As an owner of several solar panels I’ve become aware of the main advantages and disadvantages of solar energy . With incredible advancement and development being made in solar panel technology, the advantages of solar energy are starting to outnumber the disadvantages. Solar panels have become so effective these days that they are being commonly used in many homes, offices and even industrial plants. Solar panels offer you free and clean energy, as well as comfort, the comfort of knowing that you’re doing the world a favor by choosing to use green energy.
It is truly amazing how we are able to live our lives with such an ease thanks to modern technology. Appliances such as refrigerators and freezers, electrical heaters and air-conditioning units, computers and mobile phones make our lives a lot easier. However these devices all require a lot of energy. One of the biggest wishes of home owners these days is a solution for powering their homes and their appliances for a lower cost. Many wise home owners have started considering getting solar panels for this very reason.
Solar energy is one of the few, if not the only, sources of energy you can feel good about consuming. Any person can enjoy using solar energy to its fullest potential without affecting the environment in any negative way, while at the same time escaping an expensive energy bill. Below are some facts regarding solar energy pros and cons.
Advantages of Solar Energy
Below are two of the main benefits of using solar energy, namely;
- Gratuitous and infinite – The sun provides our planet with free and infinite energy in the form of radiant light. With this natural energy you can power your entire household and all appliances if you have enough solar panels. Enjoy living a life at ease without worrying about any energy bills.
- Eco-friendly – One of the biggest advantages of using power harnessed from the sun is its close to non-existing degree of pollution. Solar panel systems do not emit any CO2 at all. In fact, it’s the most pure, clean and natural form of energy there is!
We are in no doubt gradually running out of the natural resources that this planet has stocked up for us over the past million years. At this time our society is extremely dependent upon fossil fuels in order to produce electrical power for the entire grid. As the amount of fossil fuels remaining on our planet keeps declining, the price of the fuels keeps climbing. Fossil fuels affect our planet in a very bad way by emitting an excess amount of CO2 which in return leads to global warming.
Disadvantages of Solar Energy
At this point you’re probably thinking all of this sounds too good to be true, right? If there’s a source of energy that’s infinite and non-pollutant, why aren’t we relying on it instead of fossil fuels? Well, there are two main disadvantages when it comes to using solar energy, namely;
- Cost of Making Photovoltaic Panels – When it comes to using the solar energy, the best way to do it is by using a solar panel which consists of photovoltaic cells to convert the solar radiation into direct current electricity. Manufacturing photovoltaic cells and solar panels as well as having them installed may seem a bit pricy.
- Storing the Energy – If your system produces any excess electricity you will want to store this electricity in batteries. Batteries may be expensive as well and they need to be used with proper care in order to maintain their effectiveness.
Suggestions for Countering the Disadvantages
- Build a DIY Solar Panel System – You can save a lot of money by constructing the solar panels on your own. There are lots of DIY solar panel kits available for sale online, I recommend having a look at Amazon.
- Get a Good Battery – Purchasing a good battery for your system may be a bit expensive, but in the long run it will pay off. Having a good battery means you will be able to store the generated electricity more effectively. This is important as your system will be generating electricity during the day and storing it for later use during the night when the sun isn’t showing anymore.
Now that you’ve learned about some of the solar energy advantages and disadvantages I recommend that you put your knowledge to good use! Wiktor is an online entrepeneur and internet marketer who loves to write about anything technical! He runs several informational websites regarding various appliances and gadgets.